Thursday, March 17, 2011

Humor and Homelands

Hau’ofa uses humor and satire to express homelands in Kisses in the Nederends, which is different than many of the other novels and stories we have read so far this semester. In this novel, Hau’ofa creates a different perspective of home. Although there have been stories where elements of humor have been used, this is certainly a different way of describing and engaging the reader into the story. As I read, I felt very much engaged, mainly because I was surprised on the way that Hau’ofa was writing. At certain parts of the text, I found myself re-reading passages because after my original reading, I saw only the humor, and did not see a deeper meaning. Once I re-read however, I saw how Hau’ofa wanted his reader to see a homeland in a way that that all people can relate to. Whether or not each reader has experienced this type of household, most readers have at least heard of or watched a family like this in some way. The interactions between characters and actions of individuals are things that are easily relatable to readers, which makes this novel so fascinating and engaging.
Relating this to Wendt’s article and the discussion on the importance of the written word, Hau’ofa shows his talent of being able to depict scenes like in "Kisses for Nederends" when they would probably be extremely funny in actual time. I think that many people would have trouble writing as Hau'ofa does and would not be able to achieve the level of humor and meaning as he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment